Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thoughts and stuff

I've been thinking a lot about my future. What should I take in school? What am I going to do/be when I grow up? Where am I going to live? When am I going to meet Mr. Right? What's he going to be like? etc etc etc etc...

I'm going to try and tackle these questions over the next little while, or at least put my thoughts down so I can look back at them one day in the future and see where I am.

First up. Where am I going to go to school?

I have been accepted to my dream school. It's a private Christian university and thus costs A LOT OF $$! In order for me to go there I would need some major financial aid as well as student loans. I would also have to move. It's only an hour away from where I live now, and technically I could commute, but I don't have a car and public transit would take 1.5-2 hrs. Not ideal. Plus I would have to leave my amazing roommate/wife (more on that some other time).

I am waiting to here back from the university that I live right beside. Seriously. It's a whole lot cheaper to attend, I wouldn't have to move and it was my 2nd choice school way back when I graduated from high school. Ideally this is the better choice, so hopefully they offer me admission. I checked my status and they finally have all of my paperwork!

What should I take in school?
I have applied for the Bachelor of Education program. I am 3 credits short of the required credits to transfer into the program, but I'm hoping by some miracle they allow it! My 2nd option was a Bachelor of General Studies in order to get my last 3 credits before transferring in. So, again, ideally I will be taking my Bachelor of Education, majoring in Education and minoring in Learning Disabilities.

Which brings me to:
What am I going to be when I grow up?
When I graduated from high school I wanted to be a Secondary Drama and English teacher. After 3 years of university, the idea of going to school for the rest of my life was not ideal! Now, after another 3 years of "living" the original plan seems pretty awesome. Yes, I still want to teach Drama and English, but I also want to learn more about learning disabilities and how to overcome the issues that come along with them. For the last few months I have been working as an In Home Support Worker with youth who have autism. I am absolutely amazed at how fast these kids can learn when given the right programming for their needs. I've also gotten to learn some ASL which has been very cool. I don't know a lot, but I can sign "coffee, please" and "I am bored/really bored!" which of course are 2 very important signs to know!

The rest of the questions will be answered in time. Most likely, not in as quick of time as I would like, but that's alright. I have lots of time.

1 comment:

  1. That is really exciting that you got into your top school. It is a really tough decision though, especially since you are so close to your other pick! Are you able to wait to find out if you get into to the other university before making a decision? I commute every morning and even though it isn't nearly as long it really takes up a huge chunk of my day doing something I don't really want to do!!!

    I am teaching grade 3/4 this year. Sometimes I love it. Sometimes I really don't! Kids are exhausting but my job is NEVER boring and the days fly by!

    ReplyDelete